By MN Reporter
Has Migori governor Okoth Obado’s political influence dwindled ahead of August 9 polls?
While political activities ahead of next polls have started to reach the acme of poll, the man who once promised to be Obado the 5th in a presidential race has been out of action.
Embattled by corruption and murder charges in court which has dragged his immediate family, allies and partners, Obado has been off the public radar.
Obado defied Orange Democratic Movement (ODM) leader Raila Odinga in his Nyanza backyard to popularise his People Democratic Party (PDP) and even frolicked with deputy President William Ruto’s hustler movement.
“The deadline set by IEBC for nominations ends on April 22, some parties decided to pick their candidates early we still have time to fill all seats,” he told a local daily when asked about PDP and his future.
The party is probably dead and by the time of this post Migori News could not pick any candidate in Migori even
But Sirikal Matiyo, as he is fondly called by supporters is hopeful and will soon offer his next political move.
“Right now I am still weighing my political options for the August 9 general elections, I will issue my statement when done,” he said.
Despite being heavily linked to Ruto, Obado has insisted that PDP is very independent, we have not joined any alliance.
As he continues to cut a lonely figure, rumours have been circulating that Obado is heavily considering to vie for the Uriri MP seat or go for the senator seat.
Here is list of Obado allies, especially who directly benefitted his decade in power and did not pick his PDP outfit when they resigned to join politics:.
- Wife Hellen Obado- Woman Representative- Independent ticket
- Former Water and Energy Executive Rebecca Maroa- Governor, UDA
- Former Finance Executive Scholarstica Obeiro- Nyatike MP, UDA
- Deputy Governor, Mwita Mahanga refused go back with him to PDP
- Former Migori Public Administration executive Iscar Oluoch- Awendo MP, ODM.
- Former Lands Executive Elijah Odhiambo- Suna East MP, Independent
- Former Agriculture Executive Valentine Ogongo- Suna East MP, Independent
- Christopher Rusana, Migori county secretary- Governor, ODM (Later dropped bid)
- Silas Jonyo, former Director of Sports- Awendo MP, MDG
- Migori ex-speaker Boaz Okoth- Governor, Independent
- Tom Kasera, former Finance Executive- Kachieng’ Ward, ODM (Lost)
- Business and political ally Jared Kwaga- Uriri MP to be Obado’s legislator, ODM and now Independent
- Lillian Akugo, husband Dominic is Obado’s Director of Administration- Woman Representative, Jubilee Party