Namunyak Wildlife Conservation Trust is a non-profit community conservancy under the Northern Rangelands Trust – an umbrella organisation that supports 39 member Community Conservancies across northern and coastal Kenya.
Reteti Elephant Sanctuary (RES), is Kenya’s first community owned rescue, rehabilitation and release sanctuary for orphaned and abandoned young elephants. In its first year of operation, awareness of Reteti’s unique position has garnered phenomenal support and as it continues to grow, its profile will keep increasing.
In order to manage and maintain RES’s brand reputation and communications needs, we are seeking to invite application from exceptional, passionate, self-motivated, and energetic graduate candidates for the position of Senior Communication Officer – Reteti Elephant Sanctuary.
The job holder will report to the Sanctuary Manager and will be part of the RES communications management team.
The successful candidate will be based in Namunyak Conservancy.
He or She will be responsible for managing all external and internal communications within RES, staying on top of communications needs and assisting in the development of materials to meet those needs; including fact sheets, donor reports/ proposals, social media content and presentations.
They will be required to understand the community, liaising with county coordinators, programme leads and RES managers to conduct field reporting, or provide event support. They will work with the Chief Executive Officer to manage RES social media accounts and other communications platforms.
- Assist in implementing the RES communications strategy.
- Oversee and proactively improve internal communications channels within RES, and between RES and member community conservancy.
- Oversee and evolve the RES brand identity.
- Assist in developing and implementing a social media strategy.
- Work with RES team to develop effective publicity for all programmes.
- Support the production of publicity materials, technical publications.
- Manage the development and production of web and print-based materials.
- Oversee the production of content for the website, social media and print.
- Develop effective internal communications mechanisms to ensure that news and events are known internally and publicized externally as appropriate.
- Manage all media, press and film crew visits.
- Project manage film making and high profile international print media opportunities.
- Manage the monitoring of media and current affairs in wildlife conservation and community VACANCY conservation in Kenya and beyond.
- Build on an existing network and develop new relationships with media, community conservancies, partner organisation’s and more.
- Line-manage at least one Communications Officer to ensure that deadlines and quality thresholds are met.
- Support RES Senior management and staff with requisite media and communications training.
- Manage the day-to-day internal and external communications activities of RES by working to an agreed work-plan with clear and time dated deliverables.
- Ensure that RES’s communication outputs are of the highest standard
Qualifications: Education/Knowledge/Technical Skills and Experience
- Ensure that RES’s communication outputs are of the highest standard.
- Bachelor’s degree in related field and a minimum 4 years’ related experience or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Experience in online marketing and communication.
- Experience writing, editing, and proofreading printed or online content for diverse audiences.
- Experience using social media as a professional communications tool.
- Experience working with conservancies, wildlife and international media.
- Fluency in English and Swahili required, both verbal and written, a foreign language is added advantage.
If your profile matches the above job specifications, please send your application including a detailed CV highlighting relevant experience, a daytime telephone contact, email address, and the names of three professional referees to reach us by close of business on Monday, 13th of January 2020 to: email@example.com addressed to: Operations Director, Northern Rangelands Trust, Private Bag, Isiolo-60300
NWCT is an equal opportunity employer. Suitably qualified women and members of NRT conservancies, with relevant skills and experience, are particularly encouraged to apply.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.